Find a Provider
When it comes to your health, you’re the boss. Swift County Benson Hospital offers a team of professionals in many medical fields who will partner with you to achieve your goals, whether they are to maintain or improve your health or better manage your symptoms.
It is important to find a provider that you trust and match your needs, ask about the provider’s philosophy of care and see if corresponds with yours. Evaluate your comfort level with the provider and partner with him or her to make health decisions. Consider the factors below.
1. Check out provider qualifications.
Look for a provider who is certified in the area where you need care. “Board-certified” means that the physician has advanced training in this area. Nurse practitioners are certified in a variety of areas such as women’s health, geriatrics, neonatal care, and pediatrics.
2. Ask about experience.
How many years has the provider worked in this area? If you’re considering a procedure, how many has the provider performed? What is the provider’s success rate?
3. Make sure your provider’s philosophy of care fits with yours.
Philosophy of care may mean many things, but it all boils down to how the provider perceives his or her role, particularly around treatment decisions. It is important to find someone who will listen and respect your decisions.
4. Make sure you are comfortable with your provider.
- It is important to have mutual respect between you and the provider. Ask yourself:
- Does the provider listen to my needs and concerns?
- Can I comfortably discuss everything from my everyday diet to the possible side effects of medications, my various treatment options, or mental health concerns?
- Do I feel free to ask questions and are they answered to my satisfaction?
- Do I feel safe and confident having this provider perform procedures or administer medication?
- Review the list of areas on the left and choose the medical area that best applies to your needs. We look forward to helping you with your healthcare decisions at Swift County Benson Hospital.